Tuesday, October 7, 2014

How Would I Know?



Write about what you know! Isn't that the mantra that every writer hears from colleagues when he/she decides to write a story?

I first created the Brad Frame character in 1987. My work as an arts advocate (at that time) took me to Philadelphia every few weeks via Amtrak and I would pass through the wealthy neighborhoods of "The Main Line"  where Brad Frame lives. I decided that if my protagonist was wealthy it would give him wider latitude accepting clients and more freedom in conducting his investigations. 

My diverse career working with juvenile delinquents, administering a police in-service training program, and teaching criminal justice at the college level provided a real-world connection to the life and skills of a private investigator. How many other mystery writers can boast that they've been to fourteen county jails, two state prisons, and one federal correction center? (As a visitor, I hasten to add.) Avocational experience in theatre helped me with the skills to craft a scene and write good dialogue.

But why would an independently wealthy man launch his own detective business? Writing what you know also entails an appreciation of gut level feelings. I wanted to tap into Brad Frame's emotional core, and draw on my own experience to do so. My youngest brother committed suicide at the age of 22. It was an event that is seared into my memory, and a tragedy that shook our family to the core. 

But that sad occasion helped me establish Brad Frame's motivation to become a detective. His "back story" involved the kidnapping and murder of his mother and sister. After he helped the police find their killers he joined forces with Philadelphia police detective Nick Argostino to set up his agency and bring justice to the lives of others.

UNFORGIVING SHADOWS was the first in the Brad Frame series. (Which is now priced at $0.99 for e-readers.) It afforded me an opportunity to bring his back story to life as Brad is invited to the execution by lethal injection for one of the two men responsible for the death of his mother and sister.

You can check out the opening chapter, and please join in the conversation with your comments.


2 comments:

  1. You certainly have the life experience for a detective series. Best of luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! You never cease to amaze me at all of the energy you put into your writing and leadership of the Florida Chapter of MWA.

      Delete