Monday, January 12, 2015

Remembering Rebecca

It was a year ago that Rebecca passed away. The picture on the left is the last one taken of her. A neighbor snapped it during a holiday party in December 2013, and later shared it with me.

Though many people called her Becky, during our first date I asked what she preferred. She said Rebecca, and that is what I used.

Those who knew her will recall that Rebecca faithfully remembered birthdays and anniversaries. She delighted in sending out cards to family and friends; I'm convinced she was Hallmark's best customer! Of course, she'd also buy cards for me that I would usually open to read, keep for a few days, and then toss. For unexplained reasons, I held onto the Valentine's Day, Wedding Anniversary, and Birthday cards she gave me in 2013. Having them provided comfort as those occasions rolled around this past year. Why did I hang on to them? Life's a mystery.

The painful memories of her final days have given way to more endearing remembrances of fun times together. I think about the first time we met at the Erie Playhouse, the many shows we did together, and how, in those last few months, she helped me learn lines for my Ben Franklin play. We enjoyed numerous vacations - including memorable ones to Arizona, Wyoming, California, London and Paris. Rebecca delighted in moving into new places and decorating them (8 during the course of our married life). And I can picture the two of us exploring several of our new homes while they were still under construction. She never lost her sense of wonder or fondness for whimsy, a trait we shared.

I think back to favorite movies she enjoyed (Star Wars, Star Trek, ET, and Indiana Jones to name a few). She made no secret of the fact that had Harrison Ford ever become available, I would have been history. :-)

She had a lifelong goal of becoming an architect, and returned to school at age 44 to earn a B.S. in Architecture. In my Florida condo, I have a display of architectural models Rebecca made during her
studies at the University of Maryland. She loved design and
working as an architect.

We honeymooned at Disney World, and made return visits nearly every year. Each time I visit Disney now, I smile as I recall her favorite attractions and restaurants. Rebecca especially enjoyed family gatherings with her parents, and sister and brother (Barbara and Charlie); the Clark and Shirk family reunions; and Thanksgivings spent with aunts, uncles and cousins.

Rebecca entered the hospital for the last time on the day after her mother's funeral. In one of our last conversations she told me that she took consolation at her mother's passing, and cited Ben Franklin's eulogy for a friend (from my play): "Our friend is newly born among the immortals... His chair was ready first, and he has gone on before us. After all, we could not all conveniently start together; and why should you and I be grieved at this, since we are soon to follow and know where to find him." I share her solace.

Remembering Rebecca, with love!

4 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute to a remarkable woman and a life well-lived!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just passing by due to your post on DL but your thoughts were lovely and your life together sounds full of unforgettable memories. May 2015 and this next trip around the sun bring new experiences and times of warm reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful tribute. Your wife and I shared a love for the same movies and an affinity for Disney World. May you find peace and happiness in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate everyone's kind words.

    ReplyDelete