Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Having a Business Plan

I read recently that writers should develop a business plan to set forth the goals for their writing. The article indicated that the plan needn't be fancy or long and made a few suggestions, such as the author's desire to improve his writing with each new book.

I take that as a given, since I'm always striving for ways to be a better writer. On one level, the more you write the easier it becomes, but I find myself being more critical and revising many more times - even in the early stages of writing.

Back to that plan. If I were honest, I'd say my goal is to sell more books than Stephen King and James Patterson combined, and to make J K Rowling's bank account look like chump change.

<sigh> Not going to happen, I know.

Perhaps my dream of having Oprah recommend my books isn't out of the question? Okay, you're right. That won't happen either.

My first Brad Frame Mystery was published by Five Star - a small press. I think it had a print run of 500, enough to enable them to pay off the advance they had given me. I was so excited to finally be published that I wasn't thinking about the marketing challenges. My publisher wasn't spending much money to market the book. They sent out review copies, but (I later learned) without enough lead time to attract reviews from the major book reviewers, so it didn't get that many reviews. Although I must add that the ones it did get were quite favorable.

Since that first book, all my other novels have been self-published. I've written six books so far, and working on my seventh.

Without ever adopting a formal business plan, my hope all along was that with each book I wrote more people would learn about my writing. It's been ten years since my first book was published. Within the past year, I've heard of three instances where people learned about my most recent book, loved it, and then bought (and read) all of the other ones. That part of my plan is working... just slowly... and Stephen King, James Patterson, and J K Rowling have nothing to worry about. Yet. :-)

I also read an article (see, we authors read in addition to writing) that writers should submit their work to contests as a way of getting noticed. I recently learned that LADY ON THE EDGE (pictured above) is a finalist for a Royal Palm Literary Award. Results will be announced in October. Stay tuned.

I hope your plan will include giving my books a try. You can read all of the opening chapters at www.rayflynt.com - just click on the tabs at the top of the home page for mysteries and suspense and then click the link for the openings.

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately in this business the more we plan, the louder the fates laugh at us. The best thing to do is what you said - try to write a better book each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. How many books are sold is in the hands of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been particularly business-minded, much to my loss, I'm sure. But there you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did have a business plan. But last year one of my businesses collapsed. I do have a couple marketing plans, and a social media plan. But the more I work on these plans, the more I realize, I need to get more work out there. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete