Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Audio books

I've been having conversations with a friend of mine, Matt Dooley, about producing audio versions of my novels.

The truth is that a lot of people are too busy to sit down in front of a book, Kindle, or other electronic device and "read" one of my novels. Putting them in audio format would allow people to hear them.

As you can see, I already have a "prospective cover" for the audio version of UNFORGIVING SHADOWS, but we are at least a few months away from this project being finished.

When I have a sample, I'll be sure to share a link.

I'd be curious to hear what you think about audio books. How frequently do you choose to listen to a book as opposed to reading it? Do you find it suits your busy lifestyle? Are you able to follow a book by listening to, for example, twenty minutes at a time?

Do you have preferences when it comes to the style of the reader? Perhaps, more simply, I could just ask what turns you on or what turns you off about audio books.

Whether I'm reading or listening to a book I prefer large chunks of time in which to digest the story. My favorite time to listen to an audio book is in the car on a long trip. I find it helps take away the tedium of the drive.

As always, I'd like to hear what you think. Because LIFE IS A MYSTERY, so please share your thoughts in the comments section.

Oh... and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

10 comments:

  1. I have found that listening to audio books usually puts me to sleep, fast and prefer good old fashioned paperbacks --- when driving in a car, after about 4 minutes I just tune them out like a radio and never hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't listen to an audiobook in the car. I visualize the scenes and that would impair my driving. However, I do believe it's a benefit to readers to offer your book in as many formats as possible. I intend to put my mystery backlist on audio via ACX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audiobooks keep me awake and safe while traveling. I often have to drive 6-7 hours at a time and for some reason listening to a book focuses my attention on the road. I am more alert and able to relax more but not get sleepy. I also love getting a series of books. I've listened to the entire Harry Potter series twice while driving across the state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I had an hour drive to work, I loved them, however, sometimes traffic interfered and I missed part of the book. Not good. I can't listen while I walk, it's getting too dangerous to be distracted. I just plain don't like them (as you can see I have tried them). I visualize when I read (like a movie) and in some books, I feel I am right there in the story as part of the story. I agree with Nancy, offer as many formats as possible. Blessings, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a book or e-reader, but I would put my own work on audio-books for those that like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have several friends that love audio books and I know there's a pretty decent market for them. One caveat - be sure you know how to read aloud expressively and be aware, that's even harder to do when it's your own work. Reading aloud well is not nearly as easy as folks think it is, and I've been training adults to read aloud a good chunk of my adult life. If you want some help, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, Thanks. The guy I'm working with has recorded audio books before (and been well reviewed). I would not want to attempt it myself. Ray Flynt

      Delete
  7. I love audiobooks. At all times I have a book I'm reading on my kindle, as well as one on audio. I listen when I drive, fold laundry, walk the dogs, build a puzzle, etc. I echo the caveat to be careful who reads it aloud. I've turned off a number of books when I didn't like the voice of the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We garden on 3 acres and I listen to audiobooks on an IPod with a bluetooth headset. We frequently take car trips and listen to audiobooks. When I can't sleep I listen to books (5 out of 7 nights a week). I'm a consumer! Saw your request for our thoughts on DorothyL

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister listens to audio books all the time, and when I am a passenger in her car they are OK for me. But when I am the driver, I find they pull too much of my attention from driving. I am all about a real book! :)

    ReplyDelete